Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

DIY: Vintage Night Table!

First let me just say I havent updated my blog in a very long time, and for that I am very sorry! But im back to warn you that if you have old dressers or night tables that you really want to throw away... DON'T! I have a step by step tutorial below to show you how to fix up old furniture pieces and have them mesh beautifully in your home.


So my inspiration wasn't actually something I saw on pinterest or online somewhere, it was from a sander that was on sale at Canadian Tire, I thought I'd buy it and force myself to make use of it at home. This is the model I purchased.



This is what the night table looked like.




To achieve that Anthropologie/Upscale/Vintage look you will need the following:

1.Sander or Sand Paper (I used 3M paint stripping sand paper. This is good for more stained surfaces cause the paper is more coarser.)
2.Screwdriver
3.Bowl and 1/2 a Lime
5. Primer sealer (I used ultra white)
6. BEHR Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel (Pure White 3050)
7. A mini paint roller w. tray and paint brushes

Total time with dry time: 3 hours to complete and 5 hours to dry.


Step 1: Take a screwdriver and unscrew the handles. Filling up either a bowl or container with water and lime juice have the handles sit in there while completing this project. (this is done to create a polished look)


Step 2: After loading your sander or using the sandpaper, add some pressure and go in a circular motion until you see the actual bare wood or until the surface is dull. Keep the same motion for the drawers as well. *be careful, when using a motor sander its crucial that you still keep the grooves and design that was made originally and not to sand all the way down* 
Circular motion with an electronic sander is seen below.
the 'swivel' motion 

And the finished product of what the sander should have done to your table is seen below:
*The sanding alone took me about an hour.
As you can see I didn't completely sand it down. When it came down to the embellishments I sanded over them , quickly and gently for approx. 30 seconds
Step 3: Either taking a damp cloth or paint brush dust off the residue from the sander. After that, it's time to paint!

Step 4: First, take your Primer (I purchased mine from Home Depot click here for details.) and saturate your paint brush. Paint: drawers, tables and legs in one direction for best results. Once dry, use the BEHR Semi-Gloss enamel paint with the roller

*I used 1 coat of primer
*I used 2 coats of interior paint

Step 5: LET IT DRY, LET IT DRY, LET IT DRY!
Step 6: Drain your lime water, dry the handles with a paper towel and screw them back onto the dresser.

My side table looks like this!




Special thank you to my sister Segen for helping me take photos and paint!

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or tweet me (@sewitums)



Sewit!
xo.







No comments:

Post a Comment